University students and employees are assigned a single "official University email address". All email sent directly from your official University email account will be sent using this address. Using the official address allows the University
- to provide a standard, recognizable format for the email address used by all employees.
- to provide an email address format which uniquely identifies the user and is based on the user's official name as registered with Human Resources.
- to provide users a method of differentiating between employee email addresses and non-employee email addresses.
The business rules used to construct these email addresses for employees of the University are listed below. All names used to construct email addresses must be registered with Human Resources.
- The email address must include your first name or preferred first name.
- Optionally, the email address may contain your middle name or middle initial.
- The email address must include your last name.
- Email addresses may not contain spaces. If your name does contain spaces, you may choose to remove the spaces entirely or replace the spaces with the dash (-) character.
- The email address may include periods (.) between each name or you may omit the periods.
The format of non-employees (including Students) email addresses will follow the following business rules.
- All names used to construct email addresses must be registered with the Registrar's Office
- The email address must include your first name.
- The email address will include a period character (.) after the your first name.
- The email address must include the your last name.
- The email address will have a digit or digits appended.
- Email addresses may not contain spaces. If your name does contain spaces, the spaces will be replaced with the dash (-) character.
The initial email address assigned to new employees and students will be constructed following these rules and will avoid duplication of existing email addresses by placement of a numerical digit following your last name in the email address.